Monday, April 21, 2008

Taper is the life!

The race is getting so close I can feel it....although I can also feel the bajillion boxes sitting in my apt waiting to be moved on Sat - can't wait! Less than 2 weeks til the Pig, and I feel more ready than ever!

Last week was a smooth 5-6-5 week, nothing too terribly exciting, although I've been running considerably faster than normal. And when I say normal I think I really mean than I used to. I have a sneaking suspicion that I've been cheating myself by thinking I can't run faster.......perhaps running 2 marathons in one year does have payoffs!

Saturday I thought about running, I also thought about packing, then Dave kicked my butt into gear and forced me to pack. This ended up being a great option as Sunday brought sunshine to the lakefront! I set out for an interesting 12 miler......

Around 3.5 miles I was still keeping a steady pace at about 7:40 (have I mentioned I think perhaps my Garmin is now lying to me, I just can't believe this) that's when the first "event" happened. As I cruised around the curve I saw a man pushing what appeared to be a woman in a contraption similar to a wheelchair. But on closer inspection it was not a woman at all.......it was a mannequin....no really. Then at about 9 miles, I had dropped to about an 8:20ish pace at this point, I saw the "crazy old cat lady" weird clothes, huge old sunglasses and the biggest bag ever with yes, you guessed it, a cat sticking out of it. Then to cap off a great run (under BQ time!) as I'm walking it off and heading to the apt a man and women put their small dog down and the poor thing is dyed PINK!!!!!!! That's the glory of the big city...you just never know what you're going to get.....

It's a pretty easy week. I'm not even sure what I will do with myself!! I'm getting pretty excited but I'm trying to keep it in perspective. Cincy is not a flat course, I train on relatively flat terrain, there is a chance this could be my worst marathon showing yet - although I think it's doubtful, but I'd hate to go in expecting another PR. I won't lie though, I tracked Boston runners today....and I was jealous......someday.....

No comments: